Why asbestos is still Australia’s #1 hazardous building material
Every day, the Advanced Buildings team deals with damaged buildings. Many of those are made from what was one of Australia’s most popular building materials available – asbestos.
The 2018 report, The Economic Burden of Asbestos-related Disease published by the Centre for International Economics, estimates that asbestos costs Australia over half a billion dollars a year. That accounts for direct health care costs, as well as the cost of productivity and other losses resulting from time out of the workforce.
According to the Department of Health, if your house was built:
- before the mid-1980s it is highly likely that it has asbestos-containing products
- between the mid-1980s and 1990 it is likely that it has asbestos-containing products
- after 1990 it is unlikely that it has asbestos-containing products.
Advice for building owners on effective asbestos remediation
- Make the right decision about what to do upfront. Be overly cautious. Disturbed asbestos is dangerous, so leave it to the experts.
- Contact the right person – only a qualified, experienced builder can make your property safe again.
- Communicate with all parties – home owners, the insurer, the clean-up contractors.
- For remediation experts, follow the Scope of Works to the letter. Only a thorough process will remove all traces of the contaminant.
- Always make sure you are safe.
Download your copy of our full report on asbestos
For a full report on the asbestos problem, download our free ebook: Asbestos: working with Australia’s #1 hazardous building material.
The booklet covers:
- The different types of asbestos used in Australian buildings
- health problems caused by asbestos
- key issues for business and home owners
- effective methods of decontamination
For more information on our 24/7 services, or advice on how to deal with asbestos clean-up in domestic or commercial buildings, contact Advanced Buildings on 1300 87 86 87.